Just around the corner from my parent’s place at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast stands one of the largest and most amazing cactuses I have ever seen. Recently it was covered in flowers, and it currently is covered in fruit. It’s an amazing site to see. (Photos are by Cheap Pete).
The more I get into succulents, the more I anticipate and appreciate them when they flower. Unlike a lot of other plants, succulents will only flower when the conditions are just right, like it’s a reward for you looking after them well. Unlike bromeliads, they can continue to flower. A few of my favourite succulents are in flower at the moment, probably due to the nicely warm weather in Brisbane at the moment. I took s0me snaps of these on the weekend. There’ll be hopefully many more to come in the coming months.
I haven’t written here for some time. The reason is that nothing much exciting at all has been happening lately in my world. To be honest, the most exciting thing to happen to me today was seeing these photos, which I thought were pretty amazing:
Some other notable mentions:
- We renewed our lease on our unit for yet another year (fourth year: end April 2010). The increase was $15 p.w (3%) which is okay; landlords are definitely more nervous and less cocky at the moment.
- We are going to Byron on the weekend to see Fat Freddy’s Drop, which should be wicked mad: can’t wait!
- I am going to attend my first ‘Cactus & Succulent Society of QLD’ meeting next Monday night in Brisbane: I hope to see one of these.
- Work has been pretty shite: I can’t wait to be on holidays.
- I’ve been checking out this Brisbane based photo blog: paletendril, which is fucking amazing.
- We went to Canberra a week ago for a wedding. The weekend was full of mixed feelings but I couldn’t wait to get back to Brisbane: home is where you make it.